Friday, April 20, 2007

There Is a Place of Quiet Rest..

I was spending time earlier today praying, reflecting on life, refocusing myself... I was struck with the vivid memory of being 10 years old and riding my bike to the top of a trail near my house with my best friend, Jennifer. We would go to our "secret hideout" once or twice a week and talk and explore and eat (we ALWAYS brought food... who knew when we might get lost and have to survive on our own for days on end?!). Anyway... I remember sitting on a rock, looking out over this small valley, and talking about how long our days seemed... how our moms always said "cherish the time you have"... "where does the time go?".... "enjoy your youth, life seems to get faster and faster the older you get"... and I remember laughing with Jennifer as though we couldn't believe that to be possible. And yet, here I sit, so often asking "where did the time go?".. feeling like I don't have enough time to get things done... seeming like life is just flying by and I'm holding on for the ride...

But God calls us to stop.. to listen.. to breathe... to wait... to rest.. to be patient...

to be still...

He wants us to spend time with Him, to focus on Him, to be able to shut out the busy-ness of the world and this life and REST in Him... I know I don't do that often enough. I get so caught up in spending my time DOING my Father's work that I neglect spending my time WITH my Father. May we take the time daily to spend quiet.. peaceful... still.. time before and with God. May we allow His words to saturate our hearts until they are overflowing with love from Him... may we be able to sit on a hill, overlooking a valley, and laugh at the pace the world calls us to keep up with... may we take the time to spend time with our Maker, our Savior, our Lord.

No comments: