Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Salvation and a Happy Meal

Abba Father, break my heart for your people... break my heart for my sin... break my heart for my selfish attitudes and desires...

Where is the truth?

I fear for our churches.. I fear for our congregations... I worry that our theology from our pulpits has become far too watered down and people-pleasing. I've asked several people from my church lately what must one do to be saved and have been met with a litany of disturbing and heartwrenching answers. These include responses such as...be baptized, go to church, follow the "rules in the Bible", be involved in service and mission trips... Don't get me wrong, these are all important parts of Christian life, but they are not the source of salvation. For it is found in Christ alone.

While these answers cause me great concern, there is yet another more subtle, and yet deeply more dangerous, lie that is circumventing our ministries and our messages. I have noticed it most markedly in youth ministry- perhaps simply because that is my sphere of service and most active involvement.... I see the church putting GREAT emphasis on accepting Christ as Savior- believe in Him, believe that He died on the cross and only through His sacrifice can one be saved... Nothing wrong with that. However we forget to tell people that He cannot be our Savior unless He also becomes our Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:17 says, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a NEW creation. THE OLD HAS GONE, the new has come!" (Emphasis mine) A life in Christ must be a life that is changed. We seem to have little to no accountability in displaying the evidences of a changed heart and a changed life. I can think of so many youth that I have met in ministries that are completely convinced that because they prayed a prayer through tears at dimly lit, emotion-wrenching, frenzied youth rally, concert, service, etc. that they have a one way ticket to Heaven. Even though they don't think the Bible has any application to their lives, they live in a way that almost entirely contradicts any of its teachings, and Jesus' name only crosses their lips when they're upset or trying to make a point. But somehow we have convinced them that's all it takes to be a Christian... that's all it takes... say some words, cry a few tears, and live a life that's leading you straight to Hell.

No comments: